Terms of Reference - Chief Officers Appointments Committee
The Committee will have delegated powers to:
1. Shortlist, interview and make permanent appointments to the posts of Directors.
2. Shortlist, interview and make recommendations for the interim and permanent appointment of the Head of Paid Service; Chief Finance Officer and the Council’s Monitoring Officer role, subject to no objections being submitted by the Executive. The appointment of the Head of Paid Service (Chief Executive) will be subject to Full Council approval.
3. Establish a Joint Appointment Panel to consider Joint Authority / Partner Organisation vacant posts at Director level and above. Comprising of up to 4 members of the Chief Officer Appointments Committee selected by Democratic Services on a post by post basis. The selection will be politically balanced where reasonably practicable. The Chair to be appointed at the joint meeting.
4. Interim appointments of Directors, for 6 months or less are delegated to the Head of Paid Service. Longer and permanent appointments to be reserved to the Chief Officer Appointments Committee.
5. To undertake disciplinary procedures in relation to statutory officer appointments: Head of Paid Service, Monitoring Officer and Chief Finance Officer.
6. To undertake disciplinary and/or dismissal procedures in relation to Chief Officers, other than the Head of Paid Service, Monitoring Officer, and Chief Finance Officer. Dismissal of the statutory officers is reserved to Full Council.
7. To consider grievances, submitted by Chief Officers, at stage 2 of the Council’s grievance policy in circumstances where, in the opinion of the Monitoring Officer/Director of Legal and Governance, following consultation with the Head of Democratic Services and Head of Human Resources, it would be prejudicial to the fair consideration of the grievance for it to be considered by an Executive Director or the Chief Executive.
Support officer: Nicola Finnegan.